Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Why am I getting slaughtered?

I just started played the online multiplayer a few days ago, but it hasn't gone very well.  Every time I see an enemy, he always shoots me dead with one shot before I can even pull the trigger.  Every time I step out into the open I instantly get shot form who knows where.  The stats have been embarassing.  I think I went 5 and 37 in one of the warzone matches.  My best bet has been to catch a player off guard, from behind, but the aiming feels so jittery I can get  all the shots I need into him  before he turns around.  

I've never been this bad before.  In Killzone Shadow Fall I was about average.  I don't remember getting slaughtered like this unless it was because my team was getting basecamped, but there's no basecamp in this game so that can't be an excuse.

Could this be a connection problem?  Is the game designed to favor the exerienced?  Am I playing a against clans?  Where's the novice lobby?  LOL

Re: Why am I getting slaughtered?

OrionOrion18y wrote:

I just started played the online multiplayer a few days ago, but it hasn't gone very well.  Every time I see an enemy, he always shoots me dead with one shot before I can even pull the trigger.  Every time I step out into the open I instantly get shot form who knows where.  The stats have been embarassing.  I think I went 5 and 37 in one of the warzone matches.  My best bet has been to catch a player off guard, from behind, but the aiming feels so jittery I can get  all the shots I need into him  before he turns around.  

I've never been this bad before.  In Killzone Shadow Fall I was about average.  I don't remember getting slaughtered like this unless it was because my team was getting basecamped, but there's no basecamp in this game so that can't be an excuse.

Could this be a connection problem?  Is the game designed to favor the exerienced?  Am I playing a against clans?  Where's the novice lobby?  LOL

Okay firstly the match making is nonsense. You'll get placed in matches with people way out of your league, so if you get destroyed, it's not your fault. Now, choosing a beginner weapon, your best bet is the STA-52SE (for complete easy mode), but the M82 and the LS57 are what you should be looking at also. When it comes to aiming use the aim assist to the fullest, all you have to do is get the enemy in your crosshair (it  should turn red) then aimdownsights and your reticle should snap on to the enemy. If that's too hard, just hipfire with the submachine guns until you're ready. But that's about it, the learning curve can be a bit of a pain in the ass but it all comes down to practice.

I does not help that everybofy seems to be using Ballistic armor now. If the movement feels twitchy, try dumbing down the joysticks in the settings, this really helps if your shooting from the hip but it can be quite difficult to track enemies if your ADS (Aiming Down Sights).

When I first started playing I was getting owned too. You'll get better with time. I like to stick with my teammates. I'm an old school SOCOM player, so teamwork is a big part of my strategy.

You have to get used to it a little bit. Also try aiming to the head, and don't go running in the open. Smiley Happy

I have found Killzone Mercenary to be the most beginner friendly shooter I have played - I am terrible at these games but have done all right in this one. My advice:
1. Play single player for long enough to get enough dollars to buy a good load out - you earn dollars much faster in single player than in multiplayer (and it is a good way to get your first few hours up in the game - it will probably take you 1-3 hours to get enough money to buy the load out below). The load out that I like is:
- primary: STA 52SE - either this or M82 (which is your default weapon) is fine - I have found these rifles to be the easiest weapons to learn. STA 52SE is silenced (M82 is not) which presumably makes it less likely that others will spot you when you shoot.
- Secondary: M80 - guided rocket launcher. A good beginner weapon as it locks onto targets, making aiming really easy - really good for long range shots at people (particularly good on Inlet map) or at taking out Vulturs. Having said this, I probably only get 10-15% of my kills with it as it is slow to lock on and thus only really useful at long range.
- Equipment: M133 Prox. A great beginner weapon - they are easy to use, hard to detect and lethal. I get lots of kills with these. if you have Supply armour you will get 2 of these every time you re spawn (which for me is a lot as I die often). Use them liberally - eg if you think you are about to die, drop one; if you see an enemy who you think is better than you, throw one at them; maybe even drop one at your feet when you re spawn if you are getting killed quickly. Often good for revenge kills - ie someone shoots you, and then gets blown up by your Proximity mine when they come to pick up your valour card.
- Van Guard: Vultur. I think this is the best Van Guard for beginners - it stays in the air even if you die ( so it is still there when you re spawn); and the fact that it shows you where everyone is is incredibly helpful. Very useful in learning where everyone is on a map and how they are behaving; also excellent for racking up kills once you get a little bit better. Critical in games where there are only a few people on the map (not uncommon) where it becomes a game of hide and seek.
- armour: Supply. This makes your Vultur recharge quickly, which is critical. Also gives you 2 Proximity mines rather than 1, which is also key. Doesn't provide as much protection as say Ballistics Armour, but you are going to die a lot whatever you do when you are just starting. Don't get defensive - you should focus on getting as many kills as you can!
2. Once you have the right load out, play Botzone for a few hours - super helpful in getting your skills up when you are starting out. Needless to say, Botzone is much easier than online so provides a much more pleasant learning curve than getting crushed online game after game (and is an excellent way to learn the maps). As a benchmark, I have found that the skill level required to be competitive for online multiplayer is generally about the same as playing Mercenary mode in Botzone with 7 bots, all of whom are at Veteran difficulty. If you can handle that, you should be a pretty decent online player (though will of course still get crushed by the better players).
3. Then try online - probably start with Guerrilla warfare or Warzone to start with and concentrate on staying close to the other members of your team - may help learning the maps and the tactics. I prefer Mercenary Warfare but it is probably best to get a bit more comfortable with the online game before getting into this. Don't be disheartened by bad losses - as others have said, the matchmaking is pretty awful and you will be matched up against some people who have hundreds of hours experience playing the game. However, in my experience there are enough average players in the community to make it a lot of fun.

I have played Halo and Call of Duty online and was truly awful at both; after following the 3 steps above, I am OK at Killzone Mercenary - certainly good enough to have a lot of fun. Good luck!

I've had a lot of up and down games since my original post.  However, just now I saw someone get 57 kills and 7 deaths. How can the game be that imbalanced?   I would die more slowly if I just grenaded myself after every spawn.  All he did was use some kind of rocket while his team members used Vultures.  As far as aiming, all the tips are nice, but I'm not alive long enough to even get the recticle to be red.  It's like a half second after they are in my line of site I am dead.  I really think connection speed is a huge factor in a game of precision.  I've adjusted the controls and have bought many different types of weapons, but there just isn't enough time in the one-on-one confrontations.

57 and 7 isnt that great... and its not because the game was unbalanced its because people always go around pub stomping and what not. Just try to add good players who play often and then play and learn from them. Youll be ok lol

going 57-7 in anything is good, regardless of the circumstances. As long as you go positive, it's good.

Well, I've been playing since Christmas and nothing has improved as far as not getting slaughtered.  The game I just played a few minutes ago I went 15 and 39.  I guess this isn't my thing.  It's the same circumstance: I see someone, and before I can even aim, I'm dead.  I've played other first person shooters and I don't remember being at such a disavantage before.  I using the same Internet I've used for Shadow Fall and Blacklight.  Perhaps it's the wi-fi versus wired thing.  Anyway, I'm done with Mercenary; there's no reason to spend any more time feeding myseld to other people's kill counts.