Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: 3D support thread

gobster wrote:

In relation to anyone questioning the cabling, before you shell out a fortune on a new wire I can confirm that it will make absolutely no difference whatsoever - and will repeat, any, any HDMI lead will do.

HDMI is digital, it's either 'on' or it's 'off', it cannot be sort-of-on-but-not-quite,(and therefore in lies the advantages of a digital signal).

For analogue signals, yes, good cabling can make a difference, but digital, it will do nothing whatsoever.  It's all a scam, and don't fall for it, save your money, your problems lie elsewhere

fail

[ Edited ]

how is it a fail? its true paying $100 or more for a hdmi dosent solve anything its the same as a $20 cable. do some research and you will see it makes no diffrence. only thing you need is hdmi 1.4a samsungs can do 3d with  hdmi 1.3 as well. anybody who says you need a $100 cable dosent know what they are talking about.  ive seen plenty of articles about how it makes no diffrence the hdmi you use only ones you should avoid are the intec ones they are just plain cheap. i have 4 devices using hdmi and i only spent$ 20 on each cable and i have no issues at all movies in 3d are fine just games that have issues. gt5 is fine motorstorm 3d is fine the mk demo is fine but killzone has ghosting i can get rid of it mostly but the hud gets the ghosting.

so if someone tells you if you buy a $100 monster and it will fix your issues they have no clue what they are talking about. ive used monster cables and my $20 cables and there was no diffrence in quality its all the same

@iceblue

Why is it fail?  Please tell me how a digital signal can degrade and be misinterpreted?  If you drop a digital 'bit', it will be interpreted as corruption and the TV will respond with a blank pixel region, not ghosting or other issues.

Digital signals are just that, they are binary, 1 or 0.  On or off.  Tell me, when you turn on the lights in your house, it's on or off, right?

Go read this;

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-hdmi

They actually tested the signal frames in eurogamer.  Then go read what a digital signal is - LOSSLESS.

Until you have a clue, stop posting your (ill-informed) opinion.

gobster

thanks for posting that like it seems people are too lazy to do any kind of research on hdmi, they are all brainwashed by the companies that put best hdmi best picture on the box of their cables if they want to spend a extra 100 bucks on a cable then let them but there are alot ofpeople who dont want to shell out that much money for something they really dont need and that dont affect the performance. all they need is hdmi 1.4a or if they have samsung tv's i know you can use hdmi 1.3 for 3d and it works too. again thanks for the link maybe people will stop pushing those overpriced cables where your only paying for the name stamped on the cable

I don't know if this has been asked before, but I read somewhere, that in order to get (smooth) 3D, the PS3 will produce lower-quality textures during the game.  I'm not sure if playing Killzone 3 in 2D will therefore have better textures again?  I'm not even sure any of this is true?..

Who knows more about this?   I really really hate the idea of having lower quality textures/graphics when playing 3D.

And last but not least, about the crosstalk/ghosting :  this game would be so awesome (I think) if there wouldn't be so much crosstalk/ghosting on my LG 42LX6500.  I've read that LG is going to release an update soon and I hope it will improve things. (And yes, I've tried all possible LG and PS3/Killzone tweaks, nothing really helps).

Thanks,

Kris

yeah alot of the 3d games out there lower the resolution when in 3d then when ou play in 2d it goes back to the resolution it is meant to be in. gt5 i dont think drops res when in 3d its just how the devs optimize the 3d becuase it has to render 2 images instead of one if they left it at the 2d res it would run slow. even the new mortal kombat game does something like that when in 3d the fighters are rendered as 2d to help keep it from lagging but killzone 3 definetly lowers the quality when run in 3d thats why you get the odd looking textures in the distance. im sure its something that can be fixed in patches over time though

[ Edited ]

Really? Are we serious? People this mindlessly blind? No one ever once said a cable would have effects on ur Ghosting issues from your cheap TV setup. Second if you’ve worked in the industry for the past decade it’s quite apparent how signal shielding frequencies has a drastic effect on data over copper performance. Jesus Christ you get what you pay for :-/ doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is definition of insanity. But I’m appalled at the level of ignorance displayed for pages on pages and blatant inability to read English. The people who slam on GG for issues involving their own hardware. That’s like walking into the door and yelling at the guy who made the door for you. Wait a minute this sounds like our government system. There elected too there could be a pattern here!

Cables in all forms of data over copper have a huge effect on signal quality. Dirty signal amplified is just a dirtier signal. If you’re not rate testing your rate guessing if you’re not flow testing your motor you’re flow guessing. You guess all your shit you like but my shit works Smiley Happy for a reason.

There are 50 pages claiming it matters and 50 don’t, it’s called marketing and fabricating a story. If you believe everything like this you might as well watch CNN. The proof is in the pudding and bottlenecking data and data loss and data collision is real.

@iceblue.

I backed up my statement that a digital signal was lossless, and therefore could not suffer data loss with independent evidence instigated by a 3rd party.....perhaps you'd like to do the same?

Stating you 'think' better shielding makes your digital signal more 'digital' may help you justify you shelling out $$$ on monster cables, but it doesn't my friend.

HDMI is DIGITAL and it's LOSSLESS.  If you have interference (and I seriously doubt you could, you'd need 20m of cable running through a microwave) - it would appear as corruption not image quality.  Clearly evident in the DF article.  My point is exactly the one you try to make, when it comes to digital signals you don't get what you pay for, any and all leads will do provided they are HDMI 1.4 .....

There's a useful table on wikipedia showing cables/specifications and their requirements - my point being, once you've found it, buy the cheapest one you can because everything else is a scam.

and, in direct answer to your statement, you are correct - dirty signal will be amplified by bad cables.  BUT  NOT IN DIGITAL, because, in effect, it's either ON or OFF.  So dirty-on is still on, and dirty-off is still off.  Your point is irrelevant.

Once again, ever gone home and turned your lights on?  Does it matter how lound your stereo is at the time?  No, because the signal is ON or OFF.  It's digital.

Stop posting misinformation.

When you say you've worked in the 'industry' for 10 years,  you mean 'in a shop' right? I have a BSc in physics and a masters in Electrical engineering from university of Birmingham......Digital is lossless, hence why we are converting to it (over analogue)

[ Edited ]

iceblue

you need to stop posting your garbage. for someone who is aparently in the industry you have no clue about what you say you know. digital works or it dosent the most you get it odd artifacts at most. and you say there are 50 saying it dosent matter and 50 that do where is your proof?

Ive used both cheap and expensive and it makes no diffrence. you really need to stop with your crap saying people need to spend more on cables it makes no diffrence. the only time it does is once your cables get to a certan legnth which most people will never have to deal with.

Stop misleading people. i use $20 hdmi 1.4a cables i got from my computer shop and i have no issue with any of my cables or devices  hooked up with them. you want to spend 100 + for a cable go right ahead and throw your money. dont tell people they need to buy them cause they dont. any hdmi 1.4a will work just fine. and with most samsung 3d tvs you can use hdmi 1.3 cables and 3d works fine over that too. im quite happy payin 20 for my hdmi cables that work just as good at the $100+ hdmi cables out there.

Im with Gobster at least he knows what hes talking about at least he can back up his info with a link

http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/long-hdmi-cable-bench-tests/hdmi-cable-testing-results

hmm how wierd all the cables cheap and expensive all pass no problem until you get to the longer legnths