parasitic666

Helghast helmet and respirator pep

Hey everyone,
I haven't been on here for a long time but I began to miss Killzone 2 and those sexy Helghast masks.

I want to make my own Helghast mask for cosplay and just general fun. I am going to build the helmet and the respirator by folding the parts out of paper/card using Pepakura program. (http://www.papercraftmuseum.com/helghast-helmet-and-mask/)
I have printed the parts already and just need to start cutting them all out and get folding. Them maybe fiberglass it all and paint it :smileyhappy:

I'm wondering if any of you here have attempted making your own helghast mask or have done something similar before and got any ideas or tips for me? :smileyhappy:

Maybe someone also wants to do this along with me too? :smileyvery-happy:
InsanTeamKiller

Re: Helghast helmet and respirator pep

I tend to be the more DIY type, I actually took some aluminum foil and wrapped it around my head then covered it with bondo and used a grinder to shape it.

So, since you used pepakura I'd just put a thin layer of bondo on that, let it harden, and then add more if it's necessary.

Yeah, I've done this stuff before, just ask if you'ed like to see the results. (tactician costume)
parasitic666

Oh yeah I would love to see your final result pictures and any other work in progress pictures if you have.

I'm not sure if I will be using a filler, it seems to be too heavy, don't really fancy having that around my throat and head. I think fibreglass will be much lighter, but I think I will have to just test it out for myself, maybe make two costumes.

Your foil idea seems interesting, at least you got a perfect size helmet for your head :smileyhappy: On pepakura I just resized the helmet size since my head isn't exactly that big! :smileyvery-happy:
InsanTeamKiller

[ Edited ]
Aw **bleep**, just check your PM, I'll show tou there.

I can't find out how to post pictures on this POS site.
Message Edited by InsanTeamKiller on 07-25-2010 10:02 PM
manofbronze

There are hundreds of sites online (not necessarily for cosplay) that take you through building a Master Chief (from Halo) costume (specifically the helmet) and the process to make a Helghast helmet won't be dissimilar.

There are some truly awful cosplay outfits and examples (as your probably aware) but there is some incredible work online:

Cosplay portal gun, superb:

Photobucket

For an example of sheer awful design type "cardboard big daddy" into google lol.
For the record I wouldn't use filler (there may be a US/UK terminology difference here), an expanding foam (which is what he may mean) would probably be more suitable for a helmet or maybe use the internal foam padding of a bike helmet as the base for your design.
InsanTeamKiller

No I meant Bondo
http://www.nakka-rocketry.net/ablative/bondo-repair.jpg
It's a car body filler, dries hard as rock, and fairly fast.

Used it for my HG helmet (work in progress)
manofbronze

[ Edited ]

InsanTeamKiller wrote:
No I meant Bondo
http://www.nakka-rocketry.net/ablative/bondo-repair.jpg
It's a car body filler, dries hard as rock, and fairly fast.

Used it for my HG helmet (work in progress)

I know what you mean now dude, we just call it filler in the UK (although we call a lot of products "filler" ). Not something I would have used myself (I would have went for glass fibre) but whatever you find easiest to work with I suppose...
Message Edited by manofbronze on 08-02-2010 05:36 AM
InsanTeamKiller

Oh, ok.

I like it, nice and easy to shape, sand, and paint.

What's this glass fibre stuff you keep mentioning? is it bassically spreadable fiberglass?
manofbronze

InsanTeamKiller wrote:
Oh, ok.

I like it, nice and easy to shape, sand, and paint.

What's this glass fibre stuff you keep mentioning? is it bassically spreadable fiberglass?

Yeah, filler is nice to shape.

Pretty much spreadable fibreglass, you can get it in kits. You basically layer strips of fibreglass over your mould to build it up.

To be honest, depending on your budget you can make something 1000's of different ways. A spare few hundred quid and you can go get someone to injection mould it for you!

The difference between filler and fibreglass (both pretty cheap), is the method. You shape & sand filler to the desired shape then finish, fibreglass is working on the principal that you already have your shape and you just need to cover then finish.

Again dude it's all about personal preference because cost really isn't an issue between the two.
parasitic666

manofbronze wrote:
There are hundreds of sites online (not necessarily for cosplay) that take you through building a Master Chief (from Halo) costume (specifically the helmet) and the process to make a Helghast helmet won't be dissimilar.

There are some truly awful cosplay outfits and examples (as your probably aware) but there is some incredible work online:

Cosplay portal gun, superb:

Photobucket

For an example of sheer awful design type "cardboard big daddy" into google lol.
For the record I wouldn't use filler (there may be a US/UK terminology difference here), an expanding foam (which is what he may mean) would probably be more suitable for a helmet or maybe use the internal foam padding of a bike helmet as the base for your design.

Well I actually cheated and instead of making a pepakura helmet, which actually didn't fit me anyway after I made, I got bought a black M88 helmet. It looks alright on me, not exactly the shape of the Helghast ones but it will do. Just gotta cut scratches into it and make bullet hole indents. :smileyhappy:

I'm waiting to do the respirator now out of paper, but because my laptop broke last week I can't print anything at the moment. However I can't wait to start working on it. I did also buy a cheap 5pound worth respirator on ebay, don't think the shape is good, but will see if I can mod it in any way.

Got some cheap hoover tubes, so now I slowly need to save up for the vests, gloves and etc... Not sure what I'm gonna buy yet, I've seen a really awful cosplay of a person wearing this big tactical vest and his arms looked so skinny. It would look worse on me because I'm a girl and quite slim, so maybe use some padding underneath to make me look tough as a real Helghast. Will have to work on that for sure and see how it all comes together.